Aircrete home AZ- codes and zoning

• I want to build a aircrete home in yavapai county. Does anyone have any experience in AZ about passing codes etc.? Thank you !

• @sofarsoggood said in Aircrete home AZ- codes and zoning:

I went thru the straw bale scene 15 years ago and was able to get county approval.

Wow! Please share your story about that. What steps were required? What challenges did you encounter? Did the county approve your home as an exception, or add strawbale technology into the local codes?

• The effectual purpose of government oversight is to monitor and control the individual's actions, for the purported safety and general well-being of the masses. Yavapai County is following the usual pattern of adopting "national" and "international" building codes, thereby relinquishing what little independence and local responsibility the county presumably had at some point. Trying to comply with these standardized building codes using non-standard building techniques and materials is impossible, by definition. Like the rest of the world that is oppressed and protected by such standardized codes, residents of Yavapai County have five possible paths that I see for building non-standard residential structures:

• Build your structure without putting any responsibility on the county (without informing them or attempting to get a permit)*, or
    • Work with a county or state recognized architect or engineer to have your building plans officially approved as a non-standard yet safe structure, or
    • Move to another location such as Scotland County, Missouri where there is no building department nor building inspectors, or
    • Work with or wait for the county to ratify a exception to the national/international cut and pasted building code that would include your building style,
    • Work with or wait for the International Code Council to officially incorporate new code that would include your building style.

This list is in order of feasibility from most to least.

These are my personal views which are subject to change without notice and which do not necessarily represent the views of DomeGaia or it's other members.

As a further note, we have only talked about building codes. Zoning codes are often an additional major hurdle for alternative builders because we tend to like multiple smaller structures instead of the standard single larger structure.

*This does work in counties that display a don't ask - don't tell policy. The only thing that governments like as much as power is money, and they can be willing to trade one for the other. So, when the drone, satellite, or helicopter flies over and your property tax goes up because of that extra building they found on their infra-red imagery, don't contest, just pay cash. Your county assessor may not have a routine of comparing notes with the building department, because counties that want more money encourage folks to build, build, build through their "don't ask - don't tell" unwritten policies. Collecting taxes on unpermitted structures is a good deal for the county because a) it's money, and b) they don't assume the same liabilities as they would with permitted structures. While I've seen this done successfully by many empowered individuals, I have also seen it backfire resulting from dispute with neighbors. If anyone reports to the county that you have an unpermitted residential structure on your property then the county becomes legally responsible for the structure and have no choice except to permit or condemn it.

• Any info from folks building in the area. (Dome aircrete preferably)
    I went thru the straw bale scene 15 years ago and was able to get county approval.
    I am curious of the local politics regarding codes (more fear than curious!)
    And, am interested in connecting with folks around building and life style of this kind.
    Thanks!
    Greg

• @sofarsoggood Is your inquiry regarding environmental conditions, building code climate, or both?

• I am also in Yavapai county and look forward to building with aircrete...
    Looking for any info on building with aircrete in this area.
    Thanks!

• @zanni

Hi! I’m building in Yavapai County, SW of Ash Fork, also. We should consider combining our efforts and experience. This will be my 2nd dome, but first with aircrete.

Have you learned anything as far as county codes go since your post?

Let me know if you want to be in contact.

Thanks

Looks like your connection to Domegaia was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.