participation

• Little Dragon Tamer Major Contributor

@HandyDan brilliant thoughts. speaking of earth ships. There is a science that I have done some considerable work on. Its called Anaerobic Methane bio digestion. I really make the worst vidieo's lol but Any one that has interest I can confidently say I can get you going on tgis. Whats more Domes are ideal for the process. here is a link. It will take you from start to finish. I have been working at this since 2008.
    Youtube Video

• Little Dragon Tamer Major Contributor

If you couple this with many other technologies, including solar, and you not only have the dome but you don't need to worry about the power lines. They tell me it can never be and they fight such know how tooth and nail. Alas, I say It's no longer reasonable to march to their tune. Do what you can and will.... :)

• Major Contributor

Brian I'm waiting for part 2 and 3 of the video.

• Major Contributor

Our location is off grid. It's not possible to connect to any service and even if it was I would not want to. Every situation is different and needs adaptation. Here the sun shines most of the year and it's very windy when no sun shines. Wee always have plenty of energy. A smart programmable charge controller diverts power and heats water instead of floating & degrading lithium batteries. In the winter when sun can't heat our slab or water mass we plan to use the excess wind power (breezy 7 kw) to heat the slab/water tank.

Cool tubes are also an option and we may include at least the hook-up for it. I burried a data logger as well as hung one under a tree and at 2 feet (8 feet recommended) the temperature is almost exactly the average of the days high and low. This hits the acceptable zone of temperature for me most of the year. However, for 3 weeks it's gets too hot (92°F) and another 3 weeks it gets to cold(54°F). My conclusion is that both thermal mass and insulation, as well as active heating & cooling are a must for my location.

The great thing about night sky radiant cooling is the fact that it uses a 45 watt circulation pump. Very reasonable energy usage.

I think 12 inches of cellulose between 2 dome shells may be the more cost effective way to achieve a truly energy efficient building at as low a price as possible. Of course this makes the building price less reasonable.

• @HandyDan ! We're looking into 2 canvases; the inner canvas has edges that can carry insulation. 0_1510179254899_Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 12.31.39.png
    The outer canvas (poly-cotton or poly-hemp) can be very colourful.

• Little Dragon Tamer Forum Facilitator

@Brian-Spooner Did you find a good bender?

• Little Dragon Tamer Forum Facilitator

@Brian-Spooner Is your video about bio-digestion still available?

• @garsett I am interested to know how you got on with using forms for your build. It seems to be the way to go, but given how liquid aircrete is, I wonder if the simple plywood forms suggested may just leak and not be effective.

Could you share a link to the Indian forms you reference?

• Major Contributor

@Kwagga Of course they would leak if not sealed.

• @HandyDan Clearly. Thus, the question is, given that the foam collapses under pressure, therefore requiring shallow pours and thereby creating layers: how does one create a sealed form that is fit for purpose? It is imagined that it would be best conceived as either a multi layer form that is added to layer by layer, or a form that can be raised and adapted to the next level.

Having no form work experience, I do not have the answer.