To what temperatures does Aircrete remain fireproof?

• Doc 2 minutes ago

When considering building in heavily forested areas the statement that aircrete is "fireproof" begs the question: Aircrete is fireproof to what temperatures?

Looking up temperatures at which forest fires burn ( http://wildfiretoday.com/2011/02/26/at-what-temperature-does-a-forest-fire-burn/ ): "Under extreme conditions a fire can give off 10,000 kilowatts or more per metre of fire front. This would mean flame heights of 50 metres or more and flame temperatures exceeding 1200°C (2,192°F)". Is aircrete able to withstand SUSTAINED temperatures of 1200°C (2,192°F)?

Therefore, will an aircrete dome remain fireproof to these temperatures?

• Major Contributor

Perhaps the better question is how can you manage you land to plan for such an event.

It's Portland cement. 1500°F without undergoing severe strength loss and cracking. The air bubbles will protect inner layers more and you could paint it with silver paint to reflect more.

Either way, it going to withstand anfire better than a normal house.

• @HandyDan Well said

• Thank you @HandyDan. The 1500°F is the characteristic of Portland Cement I wanted to know. Certainly land management in planning for such an event is only right if building in a forested area. I know those with buildings in or near Yosemite and Glacier National Parks would appreciate knowing this information at this time.

A follow-up question would be then, is there a type of cement available which can withstand a higher temperature without getting real exorbitant in cost, but will still mix well using the Little Dragon?

• Little Dragon Tamer Forum Facilitator

@Doc Restating HandyDan, Aircrete is an application (not a type per se) of cement that can withstand higher temperatures than most other applications. @Talyn71 demonstrates the concept well in this video where a propane torch is left in direct contact with a 1.5" x 6" x 6" slab for 15 minutes after which he easily picks it up and lays his hand on the back side.

• Major Contributor

@Doc I would say no. I don't have experience with magnesium cement. Further, adding aggregate will collapse the mix. So I thinking refractory air cement is not possible unless you make it with lye and aluminum powder, but then it's not aircrete and doesn't require the little dragon.

However, after the structure is up you could paste on lava stone or actual refractory cement. If fire is the primary design consideration then perhaps an underground structure is the better option or tall earth berms. You could also engineer a battery, pump, water tank sized to burn times and BTU exposure and spray cool it.. Live in field..

I suspect that are aircrete would actually survive a fire but even if it didn't the whole point of all this is cheap housing right?

Now I'm rambling...

• @Doc this guy is doing research on ac and has a couple of pdfs for sale on etsy. He has multiple vids on youtube and used to do quality control on concrete.. I have not bought the refractory pdf yet but if you need any clarification he will fill in any blanks. He also goes live on Sat am. He has also come up with an evap cooling unit using an ac block as the evap media and a very low power circulating fan that he is going to open source the drawings. Perhaps he may have an opinion. He has an engineering buddy that is currently conducting strength tests on ac. Even more exciting is BASF is supposedly going to send some of their products to the guy doing the testing to try to make ac more flexible. here are his links:
    Check out our shop
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HoneyDoCarpe...

Check out our website:
    https://www.honeydocarpentershop.com/

Email
    honeydocarpenter1@gmail.com

Send Mail to
    Honey Do Carpenter
    PO BOX 51272
    Idaho Falls, ID 83405

Pinterest
    https://www.pinterest.com/honeydocarp...

Facebook
    Honey Do Carpenter

• @atravis4 This vid does not give a specific temp that AC is good for but does give you an in-use-application.

Youtube Video