North West Louisiana

• Wanting to build in NW Louisiana. The climate is humid,subtropic. We do get a few days of freezing weather in the winter. But the muggy heat is the major problem. Straw bale building can't be used due to development of mold. Very interested in the aircrete. Major problem.....water proofing and not developing mold. Anyone living in humid, subtropic climate in one of these homes??? And what did you do for this problem?? And is it working ?? Do the site owners comment on these pages?? Or do I have to hope that someone in the group has the answer???
    PC

• Major Contributor

Concrete by itself is water resistant. Concrete cures with water, so if you have a humid environment you should not worry. Most concrete building requires water spraying for up to a month to completely cure. Now, as with ANY concrete, it is also porous, and you should apply a good sealant, like an acrylic or polyurethane base and paint. Most houses in the tropics are built with concrete and the roof also. They get a roof sealer and good sealer/paint on the walls and that's it. You just reseal and repaint every few years. Hope this helps.

• ank @Joe

• Major Contributor

There are plenty of coatings that can be put on a dome to water proof them. Monolithic domes has been doing it for years.

I really don't see it as any big problem. Even a good water proof paint or synthetic stucco should be fine.

• @HandyDan What i see online about synthetic stucco does not seem to apply to a dome. Particularly, I read that EIFS uses a layer of foam board. Could you please clarify what you mean by synthetic stucco?

• @glenna What is "ank"?