Equatorial Bulge

• Workshop Instructor

@Leonidas I like all these ideas. I am feeling that the rebar is a little bit over engineering though. The bricks are brittle and think that maybe applying a rigid material like rebar will: one, make it difficult in applying, and two, create such a rigid structure that the bricks will be compromised tremendously if there is an earthquake. I love the basalt mesh idea. To me, with this, it will be plenty strong along with the structural integrity of the dome shape itself to resist falling and breaking off. Making something to resist the forces of nature I feel is a fallacy in engineering that is changing. Harmonizing with movement and the natural integrity of natures forms is the way to go. My two cents...you ARE the the engineer though and it will be you and your family inside:)

• @Ignacio-DHOME said in Equatorial Bulge:

@Leonidas I like all these ideas. I am feeling that the rebar is a little bit over engineering though. The bricks are brittle and think that maybe applying a rigid material like rebar will: one, make it difficult in applying, and two, create such a rigid structure that the bricks will be compromised tremendously if there is an earthquake. I love the basalt mesh idea. To me, with this, it will be plenty strong along with the structural integrity of the dome shape itself to resist falling and breaking off. Making something to resist the forces of nature I feel is a fallacy in engineering that is changing. Harmonizing with movement and the natural integrity of natures forms is the way to go. My two cents...you ARE the the engineer though and it will be you and your family inside:)

Wise words my friend:)

I want to say a bottom wall to waste level would be fine just not as much aesthetic appeal, maybe, and more floor area to tile and keep clean. I like the idea if its burmed on the outside, or into a hilltop, but you have to think about rain runoff. I was dreaming of a rain catch where three domes intersect. run it into one of the domes and have an indoor waterfall and green room... fresh filtered rainwater pool

• Little Dragon Tamer

@upwinger Except for humidity problems I love the indoor waterfall idea.

• Workshop Instructor

@upwinger I have thought of water catchment myself. If you do berm all you need to do maybe is ledge the dome with a trough that runs along the side of the dome at a 1/4 inch per foot fall. The fabric and glue would work to do this. It would probably look best if it was below the berm line and graveled so the water falls into the catchment.

• Hey Folks - My name is Matthew. I have built 3 air - crete domes:

1. 8 meter diameter in Turkey in 2013. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXePjg6A5Kk )
      2928354_orig.jpg

2. 4 Meter diameter (Rammed Earth fusion) in Spain in 2014.
      102.JPG

3.5 diameter (Stone fusion) in Turkey in 2018.

antayla-dome-sep-2018_1_orig.jpg

I have a diploma in applied Permaculture design from the British Permaculture Association. Here is my portfolio: http://www.holisticprogressiondesigns.com/portfolio.html

I am based in Turkey & spend time in Spain, but I am open to building in any country in this part of the world.

You can contact me via whats app on +34 663 911 066
    Or email me at: holisticprogressiondesigns@gmail.com

• @Ignacio-DHOME Hey my name is Matthew, I am from England & have built several domes in Spain & Turkey. I made rain water catchment for a rammed earth Aircrete dome I built in Spain, here are a few pics...

105.JPG

103.JPG

102.JPG

• Workshop Instructor

@Matt-Prosser Really nice work! clean!

• Beautiful! Brilliant with the rain catchment. I am curious as to how the aircrete domes are doing in earthquake prone areas so far. It is hard to see the actual inside structure of your buildings so I can't tell if it is the aircrete domegaia type build or different?

• @ormom8 Hello, Apologies for the delayed response. I have built two domes in Turkey (and I'm currently working on a cluster of three) which is a earth quake prone zone.

Domes are so strong because there are no corners and the weight of the build is distributed into the foundations.

I typically don't make my own bricks. I buy prepare one's that are used in mainstream construction, normally Ytong brand. As a professional builder this makes more sense for me.

Thanks for reaching out and good luck with your project.

Kindly.

Matt

• @Ignacio-DHOME Thanks Ignacio!