Building permit ever issued for an aircrete home in the U.S.?

• I've heard from a pretty good source that no state has ever approved an aircrete home building project, at least not a DYI. The codes don't allow it. If I'm wrong, please reply and identify the state.

• Apparently my source is correct. When I first came to this site, I noticed that the emphasis was on building with aircrete in Latin America, the Pacific islands and other tropical countries. Now I know why.

• Workshop Instructor

Yup. you are correct. the main issue is that you can't get an engineer or architect to sign off on DIY domes. They are afraid to lose their licenses for lack of testing. The reasoning is also that because we are not making bricks in a controlled, certifiable factory, you cannot predict the integrity and consistency of the material.
    There are "Freedom Pockets", guerilla builds in the wild, and under foot print permitting exceptions that people are using. Good luck in larger cities and suburbs with sour neighbors. The USA smothers any building innovation so that it can keep the status quo of complacency and power intact.

• Has anyone thought of applying for a research grant? Seismic area research, hurricane and tornado areas would be applicable as well. If the structure survives after a natural disaster, it can be inspected and maybe certifications could then be retroactively provided depending on the surrounding structures damage in comparison.

• Workshop Instructor

@upwinger let's start a GoFund and do this!

• @Ignacio-DHOME said in Building permit ever issued for an aircrete home in the U.S.?:

@upwinger let's start a GoFund and do this!

I found this document on a Google search: link to CA seismic safety commision document

This is a start at least. I'll have to get creative with a letter of inquiry

• Workshop Instructor

@upwinger good luck!

• @Altitude-High I found a couple at https://www.sungardenhouses.com/ that says they have not had any clients have problems but they are using actual architectural plans and buying AAC panels from http://www.aerconaac.com/ in Florida or in Mexico (see article--https://www.bft-international.com/en/artikel/bft_New_Aircrete_AAC_Panel_Plant_in_Latin_America_2470008.html)
    My hearts desire is for the average person in the US to have the option of building aircrete dome homes. There are lots of tests that have been done on the dome shape of structures as safe but we need a specific formula to use consistently for the aircrete mix and the covering to push forward for approval in building departments.
    I have hope and will continue to speak in belief that this can and will happen quickly. With yet another cat 4 hurricane on the way to Florida it is of up most importance.
    Will let you know any new information as I find it.
    Like the Go fund me idea and grant for establishing it's safety and credibility as valid for permitting.

• This will take me a while as I have a full time job and had to buy a home near work (yep, they caught me for the next 30 years!!)
    My plan is to use Haijar's compass tool, which I believe it's main purpose is to function as a caliper to help with keeping the block rows at the proper distance and position from dome center, and modify his idea to utilize it to build a 1 square meter x 150mm thick mold. Theoretically, the dome can be constructed with identical blocks if designed right. After I get my mold built, I will pour a few block samples and line each side with a different material ( polyclothe, fiberglass cloth and basalt mesh) . Then my plan was to cut them up into smaller blocks to submit for testing and inspection. I will take weights of random 1 L samples of foam and aircrete, as well as logging accurate liquid and cement volumes to try and get some accurate recipe history/log. I also want to mortar a couple of blocks together and finish them with the final stucco/polyclothe layer, and cut samples out where the joint is, to do proper inspection and testing of the block joints.

My thoughts are that the blocks can be made and stacked on pallets, then delivered and mortared together on site. The windows, doors, halls, and ventilation can be cut out and finished after or during assembly.
    My main idea is to get the mold shaped right. Each dome diameter would need it's own specific shaped mold. I'm still deciding if I want to have a "tongue and groove" type design, or if having them angled just right will suffice for strength.