@Hanalea yes they do but building permits are either city or county specific wherever you go mostly. So that is who you would contact. even if a city does not have permitting yet there is a precedent set for it and so all you need is a contractor or architect or engineer to submit the proper paperwork and they should sign off on it since they're prevalent in California now. We even have homeowners insurance for them now.